Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Jekyll and Hyde Response #4:

 Author’s Note: This response was inspired by the very last chapter in Jekyll and Hyde, where the truth comes out and everything is explained. My goal was to sum up the main point of the chapter in a short poem. But, I became motivated to write this poem not only by this chapter, but the entire story. I really tried to reflect Jekyll’s feelings of confusion and sorrow that were shown throughout the novella. I really hope you like it. Personally, I think it’s my best out of all of the Jekyll and Hyde responses we have done. So enjoy!

My heart sinks in deep remorse
At the thought of what I’ve done.
Evil’s finally run its course.
Over goodness it has won.

For months I’ve felt great sorrow.
I have drowned among my fears.
The demon comes tomorrow
But today is filled with tears.

Pleasure comes with great regret.
With corruption comes despair.
The truth has not come out yet
But I loathe to clear the air.

What is wrong with your dear friend?
What’s he keeping deep inside?
Truth will only lead to end
But I tell you I am Hyde.

Yes it’s true though quite insane
But insane is far from new.
I roamed round with my fake cane
And murdered Mr. Carew.

Killed a girl with two huge strides.
I admit I loved her screams.
Cursed I am with polar sides
But my anger, oh it steams.

It approaches as we speak.
My spirit it does consume.
I can’t fight for I’m too weak
So I sit and wait for doom.

Though my life is far past done
From evil’s selfish freeing,
I live on for we are one.
In death here lies wellbeing.

Author's Note: Oh, and just a little fact to add in, every line has seven syllables which is typically known as a good, lucky number and, in religion, is often used to show completeness. Just another addition to the theme of good and evil and how they both exist within one man. :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm suprised no one has commented on this yet but I believe through the diction you conveyed Jekyll quite well. Also the flow and how you placed everything works, from the end to the beginning, I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete