Wednesday, February 1, 2012


Jekyll and Hyde Response:
Authors Note: While coding "Jekyll and Hyde," I realized that opposites are a recurring motif throughout the story. For example, there are the men with different personalities and the streets with varying noises and appearances; these examples and more helped me create a poem that I think reflects the confusion of the world and captures the feelings of Dr. Jekyll who I believe has a sort of alter ego known as Mr. Hyde. Then again I could be completely wrong. It's just a guess. Enjoy! :)

 
Who am I?
Who was I meant to be?
In the past.
In the future.
Now.

My outsides.
Show one side of me.
Kindness.
Compassion.
Optimism.

My insides.
Show a different side.
Secrecy.
Anger.
Evil.

Who am I?
How am I supposed to know?
Everything is changing.
Inside.
And out.

I’m pulled.
Left       and       Right.
Up.
Down.
Closer but F a r t h e r A w a y

One answer.
Only one.
Opposites.
Make our world.
Make who we are.

Sunrise.
Red and yellow.
Sunset.
Black.

Country.
Quiet.
City.
Loud.

Stomach.
Full.
Heart.
Empty.

Who am I?
Me.
Jekyll.
I still don’t know.

My outsides.
Show one side of me.
I show the world.

But.

My.
Insides.
I.
Hyde.

4 comments:

  1. Amazing use of different ways of typing the poem. I got to see and actually evaluate the differences between the words. Using the opposites showed that Jekyll is so different from Hyde but they still are connected in a way. Keep writing the way you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing. I really like how the different fonts pull you further into the poem. The only thing I'd change is the font, because I could sometimes read it. But the poem was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gabby you did such a good job on this! The lines flowed together in a way that made it that much more intense. And the use of different fonts made the poem very powerful. i really liked how you had 'quiet', in small cursive letters, and 'loud' in big bold lettering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gabrielle, I really enjoy how you used the polar opposites to represent the split between Jekyll and Hyde yet connected them through those last word. I can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete