Thursday, February 9, 2012

Jekyll and Hyde Response #2

Authors Note: Because of the complexity of the story, there were many words I did not know or recognize. Providing a challenge for myself, I looked up 5 of these words and used them in a creative story (the definitions are on the left side of my blog). I chose to write from a certain person’s point of view…. See if you know who.

Strolling through the roads at night, engulfed in the light of the street lamps yet overcome by the darkness between, I saw him. The silhouette was still, half lit by the glow from above, half trapped in the shadows of the night. I could see in the eye under the illumination a shine like that of a carbuncle, capturing each beam of light, creating a beautiful image that led deep into his soul. This glimpse into the man’s personality, it felt like a juggernaut, using its power to control me and pull me in towards him. The connection was overwhelming, like we were both imprisoned beneath the boundaries set by a cupola, providing a path only leading forward in the direction of confrontation. I picked up one foot and put it in front of the other, making small movements towards the subject of interest. One step forward, two, then three, while keeping the man in sight. Slowly, like an animal moving in on its prey, he began his strides leading near me. Though plenty of radiance lined the streets, he chose to let his body be swallowed by the jaws of gloom, obscuring his features so the silhouette was just barely visible. His glimmering eye went dark and all attraction was lost, yet the footsteps still approached. Each gained momentum, speeding the man’s leisurely pace into a rapid walk, then jog. I stopped, perplexed by the change in mien, as he continued to come closer and closer. Despite his efforts to remain hidden, one ray of light hit his face and in that moment of recognition, fear overcame my body. Muscles tightened, breathing quickened, sweat began to roll down my back, for he was no longer the man I had seen earlier. He had become austere, rage radiating off of his body. One step backward, two, then three, but the efforts were not enough. His shoes came as close as they could before I too became trapped in the dark.

1 comment:

  1. Very creative piece! And I'm thinking the little girls point of view was the one used here. I really liked the detail you used throughout your piece. We weren't given much detail of this attack in the story, so I think you did a really nice job of creating your own scene.

    ReplyDelete